top of page

Resources in Edmonton

There are many resources in and around Edmonton to help those fleeing domestic violence. Here are just a few to get you started. Please bear with me while I continue to research and add to this page. 

Sexual Assault Center of Edmonton (SACE)

SACE was just one of the resources I used in my journey to healing after being sexually assaulted by my predator. They offer many things such as counselling for adults, children, and community, police and court support, and public education. To learn more, please click on the button below.

Yoga at Home
Book Shelf

John Howard Society

Pet Safety

One Family Welfare is a Safety for Animals and People in Crisis who may be able to help you.

One Family Welfare is a department of the Alberta SPCA which allows those who have pets and are in crisis the ability to focus on their own safety and security while their pets are in a safe place and looked after. 

Some services they offer are:

- Crisis Care Program

- Pet Safekeeping Program

- Safety Planning

- Crisis Intervention

- Community Referrals & Resourc

- Animal Protection Services           Collaboration

- Community Outreach Education

- Confidential Support

White Structure

Did you know that in Alberta there is an Escaping Abuse Benefit?

The Escaping Abuse Benefit is there to help those fleeing Domestic Violence get to safety or start a new life. 

It can be applied for by calling 1-866-644-5135 during business hours and 1-877-644-9992 (press 4) for after-hours, weekends, or holidays. 

What things might it cover?

  • emergency transportation to a safe place (for example, a women’s shelter)

  • costs to stay in a hotel or motel for a short time if shelters are full or not available

  • one-time costs to move within Alberta or Canada if you must leave your community to escape a threat of family violence or domestic violence

  • a one-time allowance to help set up a new home

  • the damage deposit for a new home

  • costs for basic needs such as food, clothing and shelter

  • and more...

Who is Eligible? 

  • are living in an abusive family situation, or you have already left

  • do not have enough money to leave an abusive family situation or start over

  • you do not qualify for other ongoing Alberta benefits

  • are at least 18 years old

  • live in Alberta and are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, refugee or refugee claimant


What documents do you need to bring?

  • Government Photo ID

  • Children’s Healthcare Cards

  • Two months' worth of bank statements

  • Void Cheque or banking information form

  • Provide a letter from the landlord in a new place (if you have already found one). The letter should include the rent amount per month, damage deposit amount, address of the new home you are renting, phone number of the landlord, and, or lease agreement.

bottom of page